Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Smithsonian's Annual Folklife Festival


Every summer, the Smithsonian Folklife Center hosts a two week long festival.  This year's fest started June 30th and will end July 11th.

Each year, the festival typically focuses on three themes or areas of the world.  This year, the honored subjects are:
Columbia
Peace Corps (50 year anniversary)
Rhythm & Blues

All of which have fabulous food tents, entertainment, craft and speaking sections at the festival.

Today, the Smithsonian hosted a Staff picnic at the festival.  Last weekend at the folk fest I had West African dinner , Yassa.  This afternoon I tried some pad Thai from the - you guessed it - South East Asia tent.

After lunch, I headed over the the "Marketplace" with my fellow Longhorn friend, Carin.  She is a Smithsonian summer intern as well.  We awed at the sundresses displayed, but were held back by the prices :(  BUT i could not be coaxed out of my three CD buys.  The titles sound EXTREMELY interesting and are all from the Smithsonian folklife music archives. :))))))

They include:
American Blues
Classic Canadian Folk songs (includes the tune "A Poor Lone Little Girl in Saskatchewan" (see lyrics at the bottom of this post - they are quite entertaining)
Afro-Cuban Spirituals

My ears are so happy.

One thing I LOVE about DC is the rich, cultural diversity one is able to access each and every day - without even having to get on a plane!!! Can you imagine that ....


Lyrics to aforementioned song:
Anne Halderman, "A Poor Girl in Saskatchewan"(undated)

O, have you not heard of that plaguey pest,
That’s known by the name of the great northwest;
For the wondrous land of the setting sun,
Has taken my beaus away every one.

For one by one, they have all cleared out,
Hoping to better themselves, no doubt,
Caring but little how far they have gone
From a poor lone girl in Saskatchewan.

First, I was sweet on man named Len
He owned a good farm but he had a yen
To see the Peace country and try his luck
Now he’s in Grande Prairie and here I’m stuck.

There was dear Billy Mack and I thought ok,
I hinted he better get spliced and stay.
But he said to me tho’ I think you’re pretty
I have urgent business in Dawson City.

My lover, Ern Siefred, had rheumatis’,
In spite of that I was bound to be his,
But with Rouey’s linament he cured the ache,
And soon he was headed for Great Bear Lake.

Then there was Bob Black, oh what a catch
I thought it would be the perfect match
But he seemed in no hurry to take a wife,
Now he’s prospecting in Yellowknife.

I’ve made reservations with TCA*;
I’m off to the north and I’m going to stay,
I won’t give up ‘til I’ve found a mate,
If I have to follow to Bering Strait.

*TCA = TransCanada Airlines

No comments:

Post a Comment