Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Farewell to Siena



I leave Siena this Saturday. Tomorrow is my last final. I should be studying for that right now, but would rather write.
We just came back from our last program dinner all together. :(
i am going to miss everyone and everywhere i go - particular cafes, grocery shops and bars, certain friends apartments. or even streets that just look so damn tuscan. It is really sad that it is all coming to a close. Cliche, i know, but i really have learned alot about myself and felt i have grown in the past 3 months. but at the same time, i get bored pretty easily, so this spring/summer season will be bringing new changes i am sure.
i also found out that i am graduating in December! i can't believe i am graduating college so soon. What next? job, masters, beach bum, pirate, ventriloquist? i have some ideas...

This past weekend my friend Megan came to visit me from Rome. She met some British kid in the Campo while she was waiting for me to get out of class. He came to Tuscany for a week holiday off of med school at the "Imperial College". if only my university had such a legit name.
His name was Tom and he wanted to go to San Gimignano, but it was too late to catch a bus there. I brought him back to my school and had him use the phone to call a local hostel. We told him to meet us for dinner later.
My friend from the program, Ali, had a Rick Steves recommendation in mind. La Osteria di Chiacchierare - The Osteria of Chatter. It was a really authentic place, the menu was handwritten! and all the food was classic tuscan stuff. I had Pici, which is classic Tuscan handmade pasta. And for dessert pinenut cake? still don't know what that means but it was goooood. It was fun to listen to Tom's british voice during dinner and hear Ali think he said cuss when he was saying curse. Tom's mother is french and father is english. He had to spend all his childhood holidays in Bordeaux, the poor boy! How horrible... ;)
At one point during the dinner chatter he asked me if i was sad to leave Siena. I said yes and that there were things i would miss. Then he asked if i felt more European.
?
I will miss the lifestyle pace and the coffee and mix of languages that goes in and out of one's ear all day long. I will not miss the teeny bathrooms and the absence of bagels. I'm Amuuurican for godsakes!

1 comment:

  1. Ha. I just ate the last bagel from the pack my parents brought me... only 4.5 months until I can have another one! :)

    ReplyDelete