Monday, March 16, 2009

Rome

When in Rome...
so two weekends ago i went to Rome to visit my friend Megan who is studying there. She does not seem to fond of the city. She lives in the "non touristy" part of town. The streets are covered w/ trash and dog poo and homeless people harass you on the public transportation. Everything is super expensive, she doesn't know where the grocery store is and when we went out you could speak english and people knew what you were saying. I did not really like this first impression of Rome. It seemed trashy. But this past weekend i went with my program and saw the other side of Rome, the beautiful ancient side of Rome. And i loved it. So many things come from this once thriving Roman civilization it was interesting to see stuff that gets referenced all the time in theWestern world. Like where Julius Caesar's remains are resting "et tu brute" or the spanish steps, the forum - the idea of the Republic came to pass - the Senator's workplace. What else, the Appian Way and the christian catacombs was unbelievable. I tossed a euro in the Trevi. And theVatican was full of even more stuff.
Walking out of the Vatican i actually turned my head to see my mom,my grandmother and my two aunts.
So they had had an Italy trip venice - florence - siena - rome and saw me while in siena. we hadn't planned to meet up in Rome at all. I ran into them in Rome. What are the chances?! that was a very serendipidous thing and i liked seeing them one more time before they left europa.
Now i am back in reality again - i got the stomach flu this past saturday, my comp charger is broken and finals are this week. aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
recovering but doing fine.
ttfn.

No comments:

Post a Comment