Wednesday, January 19, 2011

You're Gonna Be What? Old and Dusty stuff?!

Over the holidays, some family and friends asked me what I am DOING?

I realize we all ask ourselves this a lot.  And this question is the same as "what is the meaning of life?"  It is an endless search for Ahab's white whale, a continuous riddle for our hearts to ponder, laugh and cry about.  Let's hope mostly laugh about. Frowns kill!

"So you're gonna be an Archivist?"
"Yes."
"So you're going to preserve paper?"
"You're going to sit in a room with old stuff all day?!"
"You're going to look at old stuff? In a basement? With no sunlight or human contact?"
Yes and no.
I've struggled at times with what an Archivist does myself.  Mainly b/c you wear many hats as an Archivist: Researcher, Conservator, Lecturer, Teacher, Student, Shut-In [j/k ;) ], Records Manager, and Collection Curator. 
I saw this video today on YouTube and it really helped me with answering some of the questions asked of me from family and friends over break. 

Click here to see how Archives changes lives and history for the better!!! and - Ken Burns - he's so sweet on the eyes.......

No comments:

Post a Comment