Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Brain, Sunny side up

This is your brain on Grad school.


These past few weeks, I've felt as though I've had to re-wire my brain. So much information is coming thru my ears that I sometimes feel completely overwhelmed by the "information about information." 

I'm thinking about information in a new way.  One that isn't confined to my lap top.  It's blowing my mind day by day by how much information is and will continue to change our world. 

so since i am wired to read about information all day long, I came across this article in the Economist. 

It talks about power and the Web.  Who holds that power is changing right at this very moment.  The Internet is now becoming something that societies feel they can control and manipulate, it's no longer as "open" as it used to be.  It's not about freedom any more as much as it is about who can control it. 

Today we learned about Digital Archiving.  Blew my mind.  So much stuff out there just sitting in a basement somewhere waiting to be adapted to the web, waiting to see the light of day once again.   Lots of emphasis has been given to paper documents, but people usually lack the funding and knowledge to transfer our Audio/Visual treasures to an online, public format.  I think you can only expect to see a lot more of this in the coming years and hopefully I can learn how to contribute. 

Now going to the Library more to sizzle my brain...........
 

No comments:

Post a Comment