Monday, September 20, 2010

A True Cyclist


I’ve become a true Austinite Cyclist. I was honked at, rode on the actual road w/ my bike - not the side walk and ... My bike was stolen. I am now a true Austin Cyclist !!!


This past weekend my bike was stolen. I was far more pissed than surprised.  Some of it was my fault, I’ll admit, but I didn’t think the bandits would go to the lengths of SAWING off two of the railings next to my precious $250 bike to take it away from me forever. Bike theft is a big problem here. Everyone needs and wants bikes!!!   looks like i should think about different lockup locales....

The irony is that I was planning on going to an Art Landmark Bike tour the next day and found my bike was stolen while on my way to borrow a helmet for said tour de Austin.  I was looking forward to 6 miles of biking w/ a docent and looking at beautiful things that cover the city.   My friend Eric offered to let me borrow his helmet.  Descending down the stairway, I saw my front bike tire and “trusty” U-Lock attached to the sawed off railing. I mean, at least the little darling was sweet enough to leave me my front tire. THAT WAS CONSIDERATE. 

It sucks when someone does something mean and they don’t even know you!!!

As one of my friends recently told me –“ it’s okay cuz no one can steal your feet!” Lol.  The transportation isn’t bad here so I shall be a nomadic bus and foot wanderer until I find a new (cheap) bike. 


Last week was crazy fun!  I saw a cult screening  of “Serenity” on Saturday w/ a sexy dude.


   Monday I went to a Local Literati fiction/poetry reading, met some great writers.  Wednesday I went w/ new friends to participate in a 90s sing-along at the famous Alamo Drafthouse.  At one point I was moshing on the theatre stage w/ pom-pons in my hand belting out, “a mosquito, my libido”.


Also – “Glycerine” is a great video and song, but what a BUZZ kill.  They redeemed themselves w/ “No Rain” by Blind Melon.  The Alamo shows awesome movies from every genre.  Every seat has a bar top and personal server who comes bringing you booze and food at all the right times. 
 
Thursday I went out and saw a new local singer/songwriter and drank a healthy amount of whiskey!!! :)

This past Friday I went to two bars, The PourHouse and LaLa’s.  I think LaLa’s was my fave.  It is an amazing dive bar (beer is only served in cans) that is Christmas themed.  Lights, trees, the works.  Even the ceiling is a winter wonderland paint job.  The Juke Box plays 40-70s non-Christmas music. Anything from Dean Martin to Al Green.  I chose “Love & Happiness” as the dance floor opener.  



Last night I went to a SAA Chapter Potluck and won the Raffle.  I got a bumper sticker which reads, “Archivists make it last longer!!!” As soon as I get a new bike, I’m going to have to incorporate this sticker.

In Academic news, I am volunteering at a campus American History center.  As of now, I am archiving a collection dealing w/ the personal belongings of a famous 1960s civil rights activist/student of UT.  After University, he became a successful writer of many genres.  I keep on finding notes and poems he wrote to himself that have never seen the light of day till now.  Rummaging through a complete stranger’s personal records is fascinating.  You have the most intimate look inside a person’s life, and sometimes you get a glimpse of the soul.  Holding these artifacts is the ultimate proof that this person was there and made an impact however profound or not.  

 And yet, it is the little things that let me know more about him, not his profound art or writings: His love poems, his astrological charts, the pictures of his kids hanging from trees.  The note about Chemo treatments.  The divorce papers.  The typed telegrams and letters – no e-mails here.  The little things are what make me want to take care of a collection.  Your life remembered in sweet little words and pictures.  And I wonder if his kids know their pictures are in this repository.  They are in there 40's now.  Do they even remember him taking the picture of them, laughing in the sun, all but yay-tall, giggling for miles?  If they don’t, someone will.  I do every time I hold the picture in my hands.  

That’s what it comes down to in Archives.  No matter how big or small, everyone deserves to have left a footprint that will be protected.  They are the symbols on the inside of a cave that change someone’s life. All the good, bad and ugly, we must protect and preserve. If not to inspire to aid in positive evolution.

Lately I've been getting really into Advocacy and Archives.  Brainstorming on how the two can co-habitate for the better. I'm going to an academic conference regarding those two things this weekend, details to come after Saturday. I'm positive i'll be more inspired and directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment