Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ancy in Austin

Everyone and their mother is moving to Austin, TX. I'm not even a local (as in i haven't lived here more than 10 years) and it's annoying to me.  In the past year, things have really exploded. Everywhere i used to go seems to be so crowded all of a sudden. Seats are taken and crowds are huge!  It wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb to me so much if the city had the infrastructure to handle it - but it doesn't.  Austin doesn't have major transportation systems like in other big cities - because Austin isn't a big city - yet.

I think it will be a couple years, but right now it is not there. And people are moving here at a rapid rate that can't keep up with the building.

There are jobs here in my field, but they don't pay and they are highly competitive  Everyone is competing for shitty-ly paid jobs at great institutions - so you have to ask yourself, "is it worth it?"

And for me it's not.  I need enough money to pay my loans. I can work at a great place AND make enough money to make a dent in my loans.

*beginning of rant*
Also mostly all my friends here pissed me off this weekend. Some of them are awesome. But some just constantly flake out on me and i wonder why do you even say you want to hang out if you always flake out. One person cancelled happy hour, another cancelled last minute on a night out and one more got food poisoning - i guess. That's probably one of my biggest pet peeves. Saying you will do something and not doing it. Also - a ton of people have coupled off and it's stupid. Couples are boring and stupid and i have no idea why they exist. All they do is doof around together, excluding everyone else - except for other couples - and talk about surface shit like "fit-bits" and "crock pot recipes" and "401 Ks" and "Wedding reception plans" and "European vacation that cost $10,000". Gag me. Is it a rule that once your in your mid-twenties and a couple you have to lose all your creativity, thoughts, and sense of LIFE????
*end of rant*

Meanwhile - My two best friends never let me down. One of them posted how she was so excited to see me  in NYC in a couple of weeks. Then everyone i know in NYC chimed in and said they were excited to see me there too. This made me feel really happy.

My other best friend sent me a text this morning of a Roman stairway me and her sat on back in 2009, during our study abroad.  She was in Rome on vacation.

It made me miss Rome and it makes me miss the friends i grew up with. I've had a good run in Austin, but i need to find my new place, tribe to belong to. It would also be nice to be closer to my friends and family.  It's so expensive to see them these days, with being so far away.

Austin has served me well and given me a lot of things I dreamed of having.  A new start, wonderful weather, a Masters degree, jobs of interest, romance, Ryan Gosling encounter, and a chance to sing in a band!  But now it's time to move somewhere else and find more dreams and people and places to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment