Monday, November 4, 2013

Painting the town

The city should be covered in a blaring red paint EVERYWHERE cuz this weekend no corner of this fair city was spared from my debauchery.

Friday night:
Nat Geo Photo party launch. I wore my go-to hawt outfit. i saw photogs. it was rather grand. i then when to a halloween party w/ my neighborhood gypsy jazz playing friend.

Sat:

Farmer's market blew my wallet, but it was a wonderful way to spend the morning.

 At 11:00pm i got my ass off the couch and went to a party w/ flip cup, but quickly got out of that situation and went to a 60s soul/motown dance party at a Mexican resto in my hood. The enchiladas were to die for.

I then went to a corner bar at 2am wearing a panda headpiece concealing my identity until i wanted more beer.

Sun:
I woke up determined to go to mass. I haven't been in 5 months and it's the Catholic spiritualism part of me that keeps calling me back. I decided to attend mass at one of the oldest (if not the first, it may be) African-American founded Catholic churches in America. The parish was soooooo welcoming. Everyone was so nice. and get this: People actually sang AND clapped their hands in praise.
At most Catholic masses I've been to, getting people to participate musically is like pulling teeth.  No one seems joyful to be there, but more like a chore.

***SIDE RANT: No one makes you go to church, so I've never understood this idea of going to church if you don't want to be there or if you do not like the church you are going to. I feel like there are so many ways to worship in whatever you believe in - yes i'm including atheism - so you shouldn't waste your time doing things you don't want to do regarding spiritually, religion.***

I SO ENJOYED going to this parish!!! Everyone was happy, joyful, singing and clapping their hands. All the music was in Gospel Chorus style so it sounded amazing!!! Also, I really liked the sermon. I definitely want to return for mass there in the future. I believe that is how mass should be.

I then had a white whale encounter. Which will be detailed in the next blog post.

And then I went to James Blake and it was amazing!!!! Talk about music. Music is definitely a HUGE part of my personal religion. There is some sort of high-power/other worldly quality when you listen to really good music and see really good art.



No comments:

Post a Comment