Friday, September 5, 2014

Small things with Great Love

It's an understatement to say the world is in turmoil right now. Unfortunately, the world has and always will be in turmoil. Just as the world will be joyous, victorious, and in a journey towards peace.

Whenever I am experiencing a bad day, I remember the following things: I do not live in a community where I have no control over the direction of my life.

Can you imagine being forced into child marriage? Being imprisoned for having sex? What about slavery?

I thank God I do not live in a place which is always in chaos, where my entire life could be swept away at any time. I try to remember this when i have a bad day. Which lately, seem to be sparse.

BUT - all this turmoil means there is still much to be done. For a long time I thought I had to save the world. I had to do something EPIC, BIG, ASTOUNDING, to be worthy of living.

I've realized that small acts of kindness go much farther than you think. This past year was about getting my shit together so I could pay it forward. I'm starting to volunteer at a local non-profit. I'm tutoring in reading and writing with ages 6-18. It's once a week. It's just enough for me to feel like I am giving back, but not too overwhelming.

All we can do is promote peace in our small, unique way. Then we can start the healing process for the world. And, damn it is wounded right now. 




Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. -- Mother Theresa
 Mother Theresa wisdomA Whim by emilyjeanroche #love #quotes mother theresa
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-29063111

No comments:

Post a Comment