Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Behind the Scenes at the Natural History Museum


Today topped yesterday!

After getting semi lost on my way to the metro station, I recovered.  Once I got the office, I spoke with my bosses on what I would be expected to do in the short 10 weeks I will be at the Smithsonian.  I had already known about processing to garden related collections, but a few surprises were left.  I would also be getting a chance to act as a blogger for the archive!!!  A second writing gig will be featured in a newsletter, some sort of “A day in the life of an intern” idea, I believe.  I love writing and was an English major, so anytime writing comes into my life I am pleased to welcome it. As soon as I've done my first entry, I will be sure to put it in this blog.

After I found out more details, we headed over to the Natural History Museum to visit the Botanical & Horticultural library.  This is where I will be getting most of my resources for my research project over the summer.  After the short tour of the library, the librarian took us on an impromptu, “behind the scenes” tour of the Museum.  Coming out of the library, there were rows and rows of lockers, all filled with specimens and samples of plant life from all over the world.  

The next section was Entomology.  It smelled groooooosssssssssss!!! Like mothballs, but times 100 in potency.  

The third area we got to see was the Anthropology section.  As good timing would have it, we got to see Anthropology students dusting off ACTUAL ancient people BONES.  Things got real. :)


The weather was perfect today and walking outside during lunch break was a refreshing way to spend my time.  I could see the Washington monument and the Capital through the hazy summer air.  I think I will head to the National Gallery of Art this Saturday, unless something cooler catches my eye.  As always, send your recommendations to me!

Stay lovely lovelies!!!!
xoxoxo
Savvy

1 comment: