Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer in the Smithsonian

Hello there?

Are you still there?

I hope so.

I've completely neglected my blog!  I think it's because most of the people who even see this, see me on my Facebook, so I haven't bothered to keep this blog in check!

But now, I have the perfect adventure to fill it with.

This summer I will be working as an Archival Intern at the Smithsonian.  I am working in the Smithsonian's American Garden's Archives. 

I am sooooo grateful to have this opportunity.  I filled out tons of applications and wanted the Smithsonian one, crossing my fingers and toes it would happen. 

As part of my Intern program I will be digitizing, cataloging and transferring things to the online format for the archive.  Also - I recently learned that I will have time set aside every week to do research for the Smithsonian.  I am thrilled about this added bonus.  Researching will be that much more fun, having the resources that are available around me - ie: National Archives, Library of Congress and the archives I will be working in. At the end of my internship, I am expected to present my findings and project.  EEEEE!!!! :)  Still don't know what the research topic is, will keep you posted.

Besides the work involved, it seems the Smithsonian has lots of intern tours and "field trips" one can sign up for.  I am soooo all over those and hope to see some juicy behind the scenes spectacles of this huge institution and the surrounding area.  Washington DC seems endless in the cultural, historical and scholarly places of academic idolatry.

Have you ever been to DC?  If so - PLEASE RECOMMEND places to see and things to do below in the comment section.  When I am not working, I plan to venture all over the place see and eating and reading and standing in awe every chance I get.  What are your favorite places to go to when you are in DC?

Besides my Smithsonian adventure, I have a summer goal of making the perfect macaron.  I realize this will take all summer. So the many attempts will be recorded and pictured in this blog as well.  And the not so perfect ones can be eaten by my fellow housemates. :)



Embrace the Joie de Vivre and please drop me a line!!!

xoxoxoxo

Savvy

No comments:

Post a Comment