Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A rough start, but I made it!!!


I got food poisoning two days before my first day of work at the Smithsonian. 

I was freaking out that I would not make it!!!

By the grace of God, I did.

The first day was easy! Paperwork, then we took a shuttle to an off site greenhouse where we had a tour of all the separate greenhouses (tropical, orchid, special event flowers). The orchid greenhouse was my favorite.  I learned that it can take up to 5 years for an orchid to sprout.  Also, orchids grow all over the world.  They easily grow when in a natural condition, but in human hands, they are not so lucky.  They have to have the perfect biodiversity climate in order to grow.   After our short tour, we had a Luncheon and then an interesting presentation from a Disney horticulturist on colors; how to use them in design and think about them in the planning process.
After that, we were sent home!!!  A pretty short first day.

I did get to see the archives I will be working w/.  I will be processing a collection of maps, writings and personal items of a famous Landscape architect and garden author.  Very excited!!!!

Also, I will be digitizing the archive’s collection of photographs ranging from the late 19th century to the present. 

There are 80,000 photographs in the collection………..
So much work to do and so excited. 
I have yet to begin the research project, but will keep you in the know.

After getting off work, I decided to walk around a bit and see some of DC.  I got off the red line at Dupont Circle and grazed around the shops and books stores.  I love book stores.  So immediately cozy and inviting and full of life.  I say, “life” because you are surrounded by thousands of echoing voices from the pages.  Propelling from these pages are stories and possibilities, fiction or real life testimony.  When I first get in a book store I want to grab all of them and read them on the spot.  But I never make it past the 5th page due to another book catching my eye.  

I’m glad my first day went swimmingly despite the HUGE road block of getting food poisoning on Saturday.  It’s amazing how one day can be horrible and the next a breeze.  We are lucky for balance in this world.
And on that note – Namaste!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment