Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spring Fever

This weekend was unexpectedly wonderful.
Walking home from the metro my neighbor invited me over for dinner of chicken covered in herbs, garlic, and butter, laying on a bed of crispy kale and a bottle of white wine. We sat on the patio and talked to the neighbors. The weather was perfect. Then my friend came over and we finished off the bottle of wine, went to our favorite local bar and then all three of us went to a Gypsy Jazz show at another bar nearby. Someone at the table ordered a lamb shank and then i had to order a Cabernet to wash it down with.

Food. Music. Good company. It is the holy trinity.

Saturday I wrote all day and then got an email that my Bee article was going to be published on an online magazine. I was really happy to get that news. It is a little accomplishment, but it is the encouragement i was looking for to keep writing and sending my stuff in. Then i went to Opera in the Outfield, watching The Magic Flute on the Nats stadium screen.

Sunday I went to an Andrew Wyeth lecture which blew my mind. His technique and subjects were so interesting. His approach to art was to strip away everything to find the true images, not to add things to make it look "better." The lecture focused on his fascination with painting windows. He painted 300 pictures of windows.

After the lecture I had an inspiring phone call with an old friend, as I sat on the stairs of the steps of the National Portrait Gallery.

I went over to my friends backyard, drank beer and lay in the sun in my sundress, then went to a local bar. They were having an annual celebration where all the men wear sundresses. It was amusing, to say the least.

I got a musician's number. He was wearing a yellow and black striped dress.

Everyone is out in my neighborhood. The streets are one again brimming with Millennials and the occasional stroller pusher. I love my neighborhood in the spring and summer. That when I moved to DC and i think it is the best time to be here. There are endless things to do, see, and people to meet.











No comments:

Post a Comment