Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tuscan Kitchens, Fromaggio, Cioccolato & Bailey's Creme...



Last night I had the pleasure of attending a class offered once a week thru the program. It is a traditional Tuscan cooking class. The class is taught by a 40 something Tuscan native, Elisabetta. After Italian Language class she walked us to her cooking studio. In this place we begin to absorb all her knowledge. She cooks from a simple recipe book from the 18th century, by Artusi. Tonight we made gnocchi from scratch! And ragu. Also we made a Florentine meatloaf, with boiled eggs in the center. For dessert we made almond Biscottis served w/ dessert wine! And she showed us how to dip the biscotti in the wine. O god it was good. One of the best meals yet. I get really relaxed whenever I watch the Food Network and this was kinda like that only times a hundred. She gave us a recipe book from the class, all in Italian so I will have to translate it’s words and measurements when I get back so I can try these recipes. Mmmmmm.

And while we are on the subject of food, this weekend is one of gastronomic divinity. Tomorrow we have a program excursion to nearby Pienza. Battista demolished the small village and rebuilt what he attempted to make the “perfect town” on earth, ever created. He did this in the late 15th Century. We are going to get a tour of the small Tuscan village along with a cheese tasting at some farm. Moo.

This weekend me & my room mates and some other kids in the program are going to Florence for a Chocolate Festival! Heaven. This will be my first trip to Florence. Everyone raves about it who has been there before so I am intrigued.

I bought a purple peacoat at the Wednesday market this past week. I went with one of my room mates. After speaking w/ the vendor, he asked her –

You're American?

Yes.

Are you felice?

Per che?

He yelled, "Obama!", fist pumping in the air.

Then she laughed and nodded and it was a fun conversation to witness. The Italian vendor described Bush’s second term as “incredible!” and you know, not in the good way. LoL.

This Saturday, the Walkabout Pub opens – so excited. There are two kids in the program w/ birthdays, so I think pretty much all 24 of us are attending the seasonal re-opening of this Australian Pub. I think they close from November to January.

They have Bailey’s Crème and Fosters!!!!

And the name, I mean come on, it’s a match made in heaven for a fun time.

I talked to my friend Megan on skype the other night. It was weird, because we both decided we were chatting like we always do, but this time in Italy. Crazy…

No comments:

Post a Comment