Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Aperitivo is Imperative!

At European cafes, there are these certain complimentary snack times. Usually in the late afternoon/early evening, some select cafes or osterias (osterias are a step down from a restaurant, kinda like a really awesome sandwich & coffee place) offer aperitivo times. The idea is that you buy a drink for 2 – 7 euros and then you enjoy a spread of free food. Great sandwiches, bread and dip and pasta. So basically, you get more than what you pay for. And to money conscience college students everywhere - we flock like vultures.

My favorite café I have found so far is a place around the corner from my apartment. It was formerly the Walkabout Pub. They changed it from the Walkabout Pub to the Meet Life Café. What had happened was that the Walkabout became so popular that they got crowds and crowds of people (especially Americans and other English speakers) who got sloshed there and I guess that wasn’t the atmosphere they wanted. So they closed in November, and revamped the whole vibe and it became “Meetlife Café”.

I love this place. It is right down the street from my place and great for any atmosphere I want because it changes a lot. It doesn't hurt that the men who own/bartend it are two FLIPPIN' hot italian brothers - "Caio...yes...Fosters...Si, Thank you so very much." Thank you for your irradiating hotness on me! sometimes that's what I'd like to say in response. In America I would never do that, but here i wonder if they would understand if i said that to them? most likely not. Speaking of what makes sense, One thing i have learned is sarcasm does not translate over! that's a story for another time...

In the morning you can get amazing cappuccinos and a tasty pastry for 1.50 euros. At lunch time they have hot dogs and hamburgers….i have yet to try but I like that they have them, if I ever got the hankering. At night they have happy hour, all drinks 2 euros off. The cheapest they have is Fosters, so I usually get a hefty pint. It is my favorite café and bar in one.

4 comments:

  1. hi savy, i love hearing your comments... bet your mom would love to be your shadow? weather here has been cold although we got a slight heat wave this weekend..50 plus...and 40 for the rest of the week..snow melting all around us..good sign..but i'm sure it will turn cold before long. have fun! Foster beer is austrilian.. you really have to go for that italian beer..it's great! and please, no corruna..

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. We dont have free food time in Rome. What the hell.

    2. Everything here is sooooooooooo expensive! If I saw anything as cheap as you just described in Rome, I would fall over and die from shock. A small beer is 10euro, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, yeahhhh you might want to change that first sentence to "In Italian Cafes" cause that def does not hold true for Belgium. But God it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still laughing - you are soooo funny - especially about the two Italian bartenders "radiating hotness" - I will have to use that line sometime!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you for the fun.

    ReplyDelete