Thursday, February 12, 2009

a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

So I was walking home. From MeetLife, my hang out. And I was hankering for a slice a pizza. Me and a bunch of my friends are going to Venice for Carnavale this weekend. I didn’t want to waste time cooking so I decided to grab a pizza.
After ordering and saying my most articulate Caio ever, I paid, took my piece of pizza from the cashier and left. As I walked out of the door, o look a slanted stair walk. I seemed to have missed this detail while walking in and clearly missed it on the way out.
All I remember is all my body weight going to one side and rapidly pulling me ass first onto the streets of Siena. It was a blur, I went down so fast. Now looking back on it, it must’ve been so amusing for the two pizzeria employees - seeing a girl briskly walk out chowing on her pizza, only to see her wipe out – o I’m sorry – eat asphalt - immidiatelyt after. A blur of a purple coat falling violently and swing with pizza in the right hand all the way down.
Laying there, I saw the face of the pizza man above me. He was looking at me, the kind of look when you want to convey that you are really concerned for one’s health, but your giggling is steadfastly overshadowing your kind inclinations. I looked above. I had two choices. I could either laugh or cry. But big girls don’t cry. So I began to laugh hysterically, pizza still saved from the misfortune of this event. Surprisingly, although falling in the air, I managed to hang on to my slice of 1.70 euro pizza. I got up and kept making jokes, with the pizza man that I “really knew how to make an exit” and so on, even though he didn’t understand a word I was saying. I could see the girl employee behind the counter laughing her ass off. He was so sweet, trying to hold back the laughter, but once he saw I was ok, he definnitley let it out, full force.
I guffawed all the way home, despite my hair awry, having a scrapped hand and a scuffed up bloodied knee. I couldn’t help it. People must of thought I was a crazy person or something, but whatever. Crying is too messy and laughing works your abs, so it was the better route to take. Someone once told me that if you don’t make a fool out of yourself twice a week you are not living the human experience.
I’m counting this week’s as double.

p.s. – to my little brother joey: think about the time we went sledding at heritage and that one kid sent me flying vertically w/ his snow tube. Ok, you are probably laughing with tears in your eyes now. Now think about that same image, only me doing that on a cobblestreet road w/ a pizza in my hand. Funny, I know.

2 comments:

  1. I feel so bad for your fall - but can't help feeling a little satisfied that it happened to you and you are so young - because the same thing happened to me in at a cafe in Rome - I was carrying two beer bottles - I saved the bottles!! I felt like such a fool - and I was trying to be sooooo cool - but I felt like a middle age fool, and I had to pretend that it was nothing, and I was OK - no I wasn't.
    Keep having fun and keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I have fallen down the stairs of our apartment building (resulting in a rolled ankle that hurt for weeks), down the stairs on the train into a giant crowd of people waiting for the doors to open, and tripped over a crack in the sidewalk and totally ate pavement as well. I don't know how to walk in Italy. Oh wait... I don't at home either.

    2. Pizza is only 1.70euro a slice!?!?!?!!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete