Saturday, February 25, 2012

London: Countdown begins

When I was studying abroad in Italy, I was blessed to see some fabulous countries.  During my 5 months there I got to see Paris, France, Mykonos & Athens, Greece, Vienna, Austria and tons of Italian cities, big and small.

Two places I wanted to go on their own trips were the UK and Spain.  Having ten days for Spring Break, I've decided to go to London with one of my Best Friends! She is much more of an Anglophile than me, so I'm excited to be going with someone as geeked - if not more - as I am!  I had a great time at SXSW last Spring Break, but by the end of it, I felt I needed a vacation from my vacation.  I think this is will be the perfect opportunity to take a wonderful trip, to a wonderful city, with a wonderful friend, before I have to pay my loans and find a job in May.

As always, I think this trip will be a time for fun and reflection.  I'm planning on bringing a journal and leaving my computer at home.  I'll be with my Best Friend and in an amazing city, people watching, gaining inspiration and causing a ruckus. I think time away, outside of your element is one of the healthiest things you can do for the soul.  It's a great oppourtunity to look at yourself and sort out things you'd like to change, things you cherish about your self - your "signatures".

I am cracking open my savings for the trip. Some people never go on trips because they don't have enough money.  I think that is a bullshit stance.  If you really want something, you can save up for it. I paid for my study abroad, my parents paid for that semester's tuition.  But all the travel, food and whatever else was paid by me.  This early practice in paying for travel taught me if it is worth it to you enough you will find a way. I remember Friday nights after working at the restaurant the summer before I went to Europe, the treat I gave to myself was Taco Bell.  A $5 dollar Taco Bell meal....wtf?  Of course now I don't even eat fast food.  I stayed away from Starbucks and Malls the entire summer.  Every time I was tempted to spend money on something I asked myself, "is this better than Italy?"  Of course the answer was always "No."

Learning to budget for yourself is probably one of the most empowering things in life. You are in control and it feels great.

To commemorate this London Countdown, I will be posting sexy images of one British Hot Dude every day leading up to my departure. Here is the first dashing man to put you weak at the knees.
Would you like a cup of coffee w/ your Fassbender?

oh ... hello ...

Hey Girl ... 

Sexy man outfit

"Stare into the camera like you want to have sex with someone!" Good job, Michael. 



2 comments:

  1. Girllll I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I'm excited for you to experience England. Pay attention to culture so we can compare notes when you get back. Even though I lived in Germany, I went to school on a British military base so that's what influenced me the most growing up. I can't wait till I start traveling again and see some of the world from a more educated perspective like you've gotten to!
    I totally agree about learning to budget for yourself! Very empowering. Also- the first and third picture. Agree with those too. I miss you it's nice to read about how you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! save up and go on a romantic getaway w/ ur man! ... or me :) i'm always up for indulging wanderlust. And yes - i'll be taking VERY DETAILED notes which to compare with you with ...

    I ALWAYS MISS YOU! anytime u wanna come visit, there is a bed waiting for you here.
    wow. that sounded kind of sexual. hahaha. it's all the hot picturesssss.

    ReplyDelete