Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Romantic in Me ...

Lately, I've been love sick, lovelorn, eager to move, eager to be completely refreshed.  This is most likely b/c i am keenly aware of the next phase in my life; Life after Graduate school.

The past two crush/dalliances have not panned out well. My good friend posted this "Some E-Card" on my wall today. It basically sums my present romantic life up completely:

One was a "confused" (that's putting it lightly) Brit and the second was an aloof scholar.

I'm slowly getting over it, but it's annoying getting rid of the last few bitter ends.

Partly due to the bitter-ends and partly due to my guilt-ridden mentality of being a secret, hopeless romantic, I've been obsessed with epic romances starring British actor, Ralph Fiennes and Out of Africa. I can't stop watching The English Patient and Constant Gardener.  All of which are on Instant Netflix.  I don't have TV so maybe this has something to do with it.

Meryl Streep and Robert Redford lounging in a romantic East African Savanna


Why hello ...

"Love. At all Costs." so dramatic!
when she convinces him to take her to Africa.

Before Shit hits the Fan.

Another aspect this romanticism instills in me is this urge to runaway to a foreign country and be an aid worker or something. But then, I realize I may accidentally die, get sick or suffer a nervous breakdown having to live in a hut in Darfur. How can I help people without possibly dying?
The answer of course is the small things. We learn this when we are little and that is not a new concept to me.  But i want the sweeping background shots, the sun, the desert, the lazy rivers and the local fare.

What i think aid work is: 
 What it REALLY is:

This is when shit REALLY hits the fan.
To beat the horse dead, here is a perfect explanation in pictures from my Human Rights consultant friend who lives in London:


So of course, I've been chasing yet another concept which may not exist.  I'm applying to as many international jobs as possible, ngos, all that stuff. I even have been considering the Peace Corps. I almost applied for a Digital Archivist job in Cairo.  I told my mother and she freaked out.  then the next day on the news they talked about a bus of 73 people being exploded. Then i was like, "Maybe I won't do that."

Even if I don't get a job far away, I know now that I must spend some time doing something humanitarian, here or abroad.  anywhere that is needed. I gave a breakfast taco to a homeless man last week when he wanted money- so I'm hoping this is a weak, but good start.



2 comments:

  1. Dude, do NOT join the Peace Corps. I've heard nothing but horrible things about it, including from two people I know personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with this woman who's parents were long time Peace Corps people. so they have not done it recently.

    My roommate Stephen's sister's friend loved her experience. We'll see. I, too, have heard very mixed experiences. I may put that off for a while then, come back to it before my 30s.

    I don't have to live out of the US now, but I'd like to before or after my 30th birthday. Basically i want to be a traveling archivist, librarian. I've applied for three jobs (Hong Kong, San Fran) that last 13 months. The perfect excuse for travel! hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete