Friday, April 13, 2012

Nao Bustamante and Ricardo Domínguez

Last night I attended UT's Benson Latin American Library "A Viva Vos!" event series to see HACKTIVIST, Ricardo Dominguez and film artist Nao Bustamante.

Dominguez's recent projects include the Transborder Immigrant Tool, a GPS cellphone safety net tool for crossing the Mexico/U.S. border, and “Drones at Home,” an exhibition on drones, drone economies and art. what. a. BAMF!!!!  He believes in what he coins as "Cyber Civil Disobedience".  This is a passive protest practice based on the values and philosophy akin to Thoreau, Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.

Nao Bustamante was featured on Bravo's "Work of Art".  But more importantly, she is a performance, film artist with wicked intelligent things to say about the society we live in and her perspective on art is something to be studied. Her homepage states "This site may contain images that are offensive to somebody."

Both individuals reminded me how important it is to find a passion and act on that passion, in order to make our society a happier, better place.


I know what my passions are. And some I feel I am acting upon. I hope one day to make such an impact as these two innovators.

No comments:

Post a Comment