Monday, August 5, 2013

In Wonderland...

On Saturday I drank blueberry pancake beer and melt-in-yo-mouth eggplant fries with my friend, M. He is a DC punk advocacy man and I enjoy his company and sass very much. Also he puts up w/ my outlandish statements. And then questions and debates them w/ me. which is good.

While at Wonderland Ballroom we were talking about a recent study in which it showed how European countries related/what they thought about each other. See here: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/05/what-europeans-think-each-other

I hadn't seen it yet and wondered aloud how the EU viewed Germany. When i was in Italy I remembered the Spanish, Italian, and Greek always complaining about Germans. Yet, Germany is the country that recently "bailed out" their other EU members.

The man at the end of our table sitting alone piped up, "Excuse me, I am German!"
I was a bit taken aback, but instead of worrying I asked him if what my impressions were at all true. He said, "Yes," and tilted his head back a bit and laughed. He said everyone hates the Germans because they are organized. "The key to a great nation is organization."

Such a German response, I loved it!

We then spoke about Germany and Switzerland and he showed us pictures on his phone of where he grew up. Before he finished his drink and left he said, "what is it that you say?" as he motioned a "cheers" with his beer.
"Oh, Cheers!"
"Yes," he said.  "We say 'Prost' ".

So of course I responded to the next cheers in the proper German manner.
Prost!!!

It's fun meeting people in DC cuz you never know where they are from. And they can USUALLY carry an intelligent conversation at length.


No comments:

Post a Comment