Saturday, June 15, 2013

Foot and Wine in mouth.

I went with my friend Sarah's friend, Heidi to a "Hill Country" promotional thing.  It was right next to the National Building Museum near Chinatown.



Heidi was sweet enough to invite me and introduce me to her friends. And then i put my foot in my mouth several times. So i met Heidi's coworker, G. Then i started catching up with Heidi on news. For some godforsaken reason i thought she was engaged (via pictures on FB). So i proceeded to ask her that, which she looked very astonished and slightly insulted by. And THEN i remembered two summers ago when i lived in D.C. I flirted hardcore with this HOT ASS MAN. Very Republican, but besides that he was 6'4'' athletic build, great smile, tall, dark and handsome. Turns out he was Heidi's ex-college sweetheart. And i flirted w/ him all night not knowing any of that background until Sarah told me over the phone the next day. AWKWARD.

So of course to bring it back to present time, i mentioned this HOT ASS MAN and how he recently had a baby. Heidi gives me the weirdest look like "stop. talking." Then a couple minutes later she tells me she is dating her co-worker, G. So in a matter of minutes i mentioned her null engagement and her ex-college sweetheart having a baby in front of her flavor of the month. WAY TO GO!!!!needless to say, Heidi will probably NEVER ask me to come out again!!! OY VEY.

Taking the hint, i went to the line for the bathrooms, classy port-a-potties for this event of course. A strapping tall man in a blue ralph lauren button down and dusty salmon short came behind me and said, "Is this queue for the loo?"  I couldn't resist answering the accent of hot i just heard and said yes, it's for the lav. and then we had a conversation of different terms in the world for the word "bathroom".

After i left the bathroom this strapping Englishman found me and introduced me to all his friends. Of course they were all doing interesting things and from interesting countries. One couple was moving to Sao Paolo, Brazil and i talked to them about how jealous i was. Then the strapping Englishman - will call him, D - told me how he was being transferred to a - let's say - "sketchy" area of the world next week for his diplomat job. He's going to be there for two years. So we talked about said location and how although super dangerous it may be interesting to be there.



D kept buying me beers. Then we went with his friends (oh they all met in Harvard grad school, OF COURSE THEY DID) to a wine bar across the street from the National Portrait Gallery. I had a glass of Rioja laughed a lot and had a serious heart-to-heart w/ D about ..... the Beach Boys.

Meanwhile i was getting texts from my secret ex-lover. Mostly just sexts. I answered what i could be you've got to "love the one you're with" as Mr. Stills says.




After the wine bar me and D got some alone time and it was nice to hear his accent for a little longer before i went home. He walked me to the Metro and gave me $ to take a cab from the Metro b/c he was so worried about me driving from the Metro home. It's a ten minute drive and I wasn't drunk at that point so I refused, but he wouldn't let me refuse his $ and insisted i take it. He also insisted i email him when i get home.


It was great fun meeting you! I'm glad DC isn't that much worse than Austin, on the evidence of Hill Country.

I didn't take a cab. But i emailed him back and told (white lied to) him:

Home safe due to the dollars u gave me. Although didn't use it all. May have to save the change to buy u a drink next time ur in town ;) 

And everyone is just passing thru.  Everyone is moving and staying and leaving.  But it is fun when you get an evening to talk and laugh and sip wine and kiss with a perfect stranger. There is something pleasing in the fleeting-ness of it all.





No comments:

Post a Comment