Monday, June 24, 2013

fulfilled



this past weekend i spoke over beers about fulfillment. We had a discussion on whether it is important for your job to fulfill you or not.

i feel that it is a privilege if your job  fulfills you.  Very few people in this world get to "choose" their living.

I personally believe it is a very American, unrealistic viewpoint to look for a job to fulfill you. I think it is a noble idea, but I believe one is able to have a shitty job and find fulfillment in other areas of their life. Charles Bukowski, much?

I suppose the person i was having the discussion with was right in the sense that that would be an ideal outcome, but honestly if everyone had a job that fulfilled them there would be no janitors, or septic tank people. I'm sorry is that the Capitalism that you hear in my voice?

I think my profession fulfills a part of me, but not all of me. Writing, singing and being with family and friends is great. And once a week to have a night-in to oneself is a great refresher. Maybe I'm selling my dreams short, but not every goal needs to be triumphant and victorious. Some are just some simple sweet nothings in the ear.



No comments:

Post a Comment